Monday 14 December 2009

Magazine Front Cover ...


This is my final design for my magazine front cover. I chose to name the magazine 'Cage' as I felt this was an original name, without being too obscure to be distanced from the expectations of a music magazine. The white on red background I took directly from the music magazines I had analysed, Q and NME, as I found this to be the norm; and naturally the most effective way of drawing the attention of potential readers. I chose a bold, serif font because this gives the magazine a formal and more mature appearance, which was the look I was trying to achieve in order to attract my intended target audience of 18-25 year olds. I used the programme Fireworks to create the masthead and placed vertical lines on the letters to fit in with the title of 'Cage.'

I edited the main image on Adobe Photoshop, increasing the contrast and brightness of the subject to give it a more studio appearance. I also cut out the subject from the background so that I could design my own gradient-based background for the front cover. I did this also on Photoshop, using a grey colour scheme to eminate the conventions of the magazines I analysed, as I found they generally used a plain background to give the main image more emphasis. I also followed my colour scheme within the image, dressing the subject in co ordinating colours with bright red lipstick, which matched the masthead. I included the name of the image and a small strap line giving details of the interview inside, in order excite the readers' interest.

I used a bold serif font throughout my work as I felt this created cohesion within the whole project. I did, however, vary between italics and block capitals on certain pieces, to give the layout a professional look. I also changed between the colours of grey, white, black and dark red, which formed the basis of my colour scheme. I chose these particular colours due to my previous findings during my magazine analysis; as they proved the most popular colours to attract potential readers.

I added another smaller image at the side of the main one, detailing another feature of the magazine. I chose to keep this on a white background to keep it seperate from the other image and keep the theme of an older star by editing it to make it black and white.

I had found through my study of music magazines that they included regularly the price, bar code, website address and date; so I chose to include all of these. I also added a sell line of "cage music" as I felt this helped to promote my magazine.

I used a list at the top of the cover to make the reader interested in the bands featured in the magazine, and to provide a reason to buy it; as although not every reader could like the main star I chose to use on the front cover, they could be enticed by one of the other bands on there.

No comments:

Post a Comment