Monday 9 November 2009

Magazine Institutions ...

Before creating a magazine the potential editor must first assess the available market and chances of becoming published. I decided to conduct some research into the publishing houses in order select the more likely of groups I would attempt to sell my product to.


IPC (International Publishing Company) is based in the UK and sells 350 million copies per year. Whilst the fact the company serves the UK market is a definate advantage, they already publish 'NME' magazine, which is based upon the rock/indie genre I wish to explore in my publication, and could be unlikely to buy into a rival or similar magazine.


Bauer Media Group are a well-established company based in Hamburg. They publish, however, in fifteen countries and currently own Q, Mojo and Kerrang magazines. Although all of these magazines are music-based and may have been potential rivals for my magazine, they all focus upon differing genres. I think that the wealth of experience Bauer has as a publisher could only be to my advantage.


I would, therefore, attempt to sell my magazine Bauer Media Group as I think that they have a long history of music magazine publications and would be able to sell my magazine successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment